September 8, 2013

Lure of the Dead

Warning: Not to be read after dark –especially page 140


****Spoiler Alert!****

Lots of Lure of the Dead happens in a very mysterious, ever changing library. I love when events take place in libraries! I don’t know why, probably because I love libraries in real life! But it reminded me of my favorite scene EVER, in Lirael by Garth Nix. If you are reading this and have not read the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix, get your behind to a bookstore or a library this instant and read them!! Go, begone! Read! Then come back and read the rest of the blog :D

You can thank me later. The man is a genius writer.

Anyway, the library and the house changes from day to night, the walls move, things that were there, are not there any longer…ect. It certainly keeps Tom on his toes! The back of the book says not to read page 140 after dark…well that whole creepy library/house scene happens during that part. I adored it. Especially when Tom finds the Spook’s head!! I was sad, but resigned, because after all I have been waiting for it to happen since book three. But then Tom finds out that Mr. Gregory isn’t dead, he was tricked. *sigh of relief* Well Mr. Delaney, you tricked me too! Didn’t see that one coming.

Near the end of this book the Vampire god is summoned. I love vampires (the awesome throat ripping kind…not the kind that sparkle. *cowers from the Twihards* I do enjoy Twilight…mostly. I just think those kind of vampires are sorry excuses when compared to other vampires) so I was a bit disappointed when the vampire god was vanquished so easily. I wanted to see him stick around a bit longer so he could cause some mayhem first ;) But I guess Tom, Grimalkin, and Alice have more than enough evil to deal with. So I understand.

We also find out what Tom has to do to destroy the Fiend, which I have some problems with. Tom’s mom left him instructions of what needs to be done: sacrifice Alice and have three magic weapons to kill the Fiend with. Originally it was said that Tom’s mom DIDN’T know what to do, that Tom would see something she missed. But now she says she always knew what needed to be done, but couldn’t kill Tom’s father because he saved her. So that is a mistake the editor should have caught. Oh well. We have to defeat the devil some way I guess.

Also the boggart is back!!! Tom makes a new deal with it so it will return to the house and guard it. Very exciting, but I’m worried that this new deal will mean the end of the boggart.


I give this book a five out of five. It was a relief to be back with Tom. I really love him as a main character. The kid has gumption. Hardly a chapter in and we got thrown head first into exciting danger. I cannot wait to get my hands on book eleven. In fact, I may have to go pick it up tonight!

Thanks for reading! As always, if you have any books to suggest for me to read and review, please post a comment. If you have read the Spook’s Apprentice series, let me know what you thought!



All images taken from the book, property of Joseph Delaney and Patrick Arrasmith.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave the Bookworm a Message: