September 10, 2013

Bones of Faerie

Bones of Faerie is a fresh new twist on faerie novels. Easy to read and compelling, this novel is perfect for Middle School readers who like a dash of fantasy…


****This post will contain spoilers****

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.


This book was nothing like I expected. I read the title in the bookstore thinking faerie, I like faeries, and bones, rather scary faeries? The words are used in reverse, which casts a compelling spell to open to the first page. Bones of Faerie, what does that mean?

I expected what usually comes with faerie books, either we are in present times and faeries are introduced in some manner, or we are in centuries past where faeries still roam at large. This world was neither. I didn’t expect a post-apocalyptic era that had come about because of a war between the faeries and humans, and it was not completely obvious, I thought, to start.

I also wanted more information about the war itself. Why had it happened? How did faerie/human contact first start? They obviously nuked the faerie world, and the faeries used magic to kill lots and lots of humans, but that is about all the information we get.

While I enjoyed this story, I think it could have been a lot better. If the editor had taken the time to ask the right questions and really get the author to dig. There is a whole travel scene where we really don’t get much information on…anything. No important things happen while they are walking along what used to be a highway. Reading that part was like examining the scene from 500 ft in the air. I could see them walking, but had no idea what they were saying. It just seemed lazy to me.

While the story was intriguing I do not think we got enough character development or enough world creating. I think the story would have been better if the author had expanded the story more, rather than just scraping over the very bones of the story. But still, it was an easy, fast read, and I enjoyed it.

So this book gets four out of five stars. Even though I would like to say it is three, its read-ability gives it that extra star.

I am undecided about what I will be reading tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you for dropping by! Feel free to leave a comment or a like, I love to see that people enjoyed the review :D If you read the book, let me know what you thought about the book!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave the Bookworm a Message: