August 5, 2014

Murkmere




I picked this book up on a whim, when I was thinking I needed a plethora of books for the vacation I was taking.  As it turned out I ended up reading this book before I left.  I read it in just a few hours.

The cover is gorgeous.  Smooth and compelling, beautiful and haunting.  I judge books by their covers.  Get over it.

The story was interesting, very gothic with the decaying manor and sense of oppression.  The character development was awesome, and the developing relationship between the to girls in the novel was wonderful. 

It also had a very interesting take on religion.  Very obviously a critique of religion, but it was very intriguing how the protagonist was such a devout believer and then began questioning things as she grew up.
 
I was a bit disappointed with the ending as it didn’t answer all the questions about the wider world, and I didn’t really like the development of the love story either. But other than that, I loved this book!

This book deserves 4 stars, and if you are looking for a quick gothic read- take a gander.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave the Bookworm a Message: