August 21, 2014

Grave Mercy


It is rare, I think, to have a beginning this powerful.  And thus, I would like to post it.
Please, if you are under 18 or do not want to read a violent scene, do not read on.







And thus begins the awesome tale, and the last time our protagonist is a trembling thing without power.

It has been a long time since a book has captivated me this fully.  Intrigue, betrayal, murder, love, action- this book has it all.  The book is about assassin nuns dedicated to the god of Death after all, how can it NOT be amazing?!  Let me just say that again, in case you missed it-
ASSASSIN NUNS!

I loved Isme.  There are characters who claim how bad ass they are- like the Girl in the Steel Corset, and then there are BAD ASS protagonists.  Isme was the later.  She uses a garotte for goodness sake!

A garotte.  

Garottes are not like shooting someone with a gun, or stabbing them a few times.  They mean business.  They mean your hands are going to get dirty. 


Favorite line: “Are men truly such idiots that they cannot resist two orbs of flesh?”  Yep- that's a boob reference.

But here are some of my other favorite gems:

“I stare at him coldly. "I do not care for needlework." I pause. "Unless it involves the base of the skull.” 

"I comfort myself with the knowledge that if Duval ever feels smothered by me, it will be because I am holding a pillow over his face and commending his soul to Mortain.”

Historical accuracy:
I did a happy dance during this book.  Not only was it AWESOME, but the historical elements didn't make me want to pitch it off a cliff.  How often do I say that?  Not often.  Thank you thank you thank you Robin LaFevers.  Thank you for not putting your heroine in a ridiculous modern couture dress.  Just. Thank you.

I love the cover, don't get me wrong.  But I love this one even more-
 The dress isn't as historically accurate, but I love the FEEL of this one so much more.  The grays, the fierce look on her face?  It's perfection.  Wish they had chosen this mock up instead of the red one, because when you compare the real cover art with this art, the real cover just looks so...YA fluff. 

This book absolutely wins a 5 of 5 rating. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave the Bookworm a Message: