March 19, 2014

Crown of Embers

A while ago I freaked out about The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Honestly one of the best books I have ever read. I lament that it has taken me so long to read the second installment, but it was missing from my library for a while and of COURSE the bookstore only had books 1 and 3. But finally I have read it.

This book was amazing. Like “I’m so hungry. Must cook dinner, but I cannot put this book down. Okay- I’ll cook with one hand!” kind of amazing. The writing is sublime. As I mentioned in my review of the first book, “I read slowly because the writing was beautiful and I didn’t want to miss a single word. Honestly some of the best writing I have ever encountered.” This book was the same. The love triangle disappeared, thankfully. And her story blossoms.

Book two did not have as much character development as the first. I think Carson was more focused on developing the love story. But I am completely fine with that <3

And…

“gif”/

The only complaint I had with the story was with the execution of a character. We were introduced to this particular character, emotional ties were constructed, but the character was killed before we were able to really feel those ties. I wish we had been given a chance to love the character- to really feel the emotions between the two before he was killed. I was sad-ish when this character died, but not devastated because those emotional connections had not yet taken hold in me.

The book of course left off with a killer cliff hanger, so I am dying to know what happens next. I am running down to the library to get book 3 as soon as I get off work today. Even though I am in the middle of reading The Words of Radiance. (Please don’t murder me Katie <3)


Five stars. Because this book was fantastic!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave the Bookworm a Message: